"Sailing is both a way of life, and a sport," said Pierre Casiraghi, who was standing with the sailing crew of the Malizia at Riva del Garda just before the GC32 Racing Tour 2016. "I like the moments with the team, as well as the sense of competition. Beyond the results of the race, I like the feeling of a group working together toward a common goal."
The event marks the first time that this avid sailor will be competing on the edge of a flying foiling catamaran. "In the family, we love sports," he said. "That and a great sense of humor are things I’ve inherited."
Indeed, Casiraghi is a free spirit who loves to overcome challenges. He arrives on set with his faithful dog Uma, who does not leave his side even for a second. Casiraghi is noble not only by name, but also for his altruistic nature. He worries more for his crew than for himself. "My last name is not an advantage» he said. "How I’m treated really depends on how people perceive it."
Malizia, the Yacht Club de Monaco’s new race boat, was named in honor of Casiraghi’s Genovese ancestor Francesco Grimaldi—who was dubbed “La Malizia.” "I always wanted to give this name to a race boat because of what Malizia represents for us in the Principality of Monaco," he explained.
For this special event, Fay and TheLuxer.com present the Limited Edition Fay Race Jacket—which can be found exclusively online. Casiraghi and his crew will wear this windproof jacket throughout the GC32 Racing Tour 2016.
Photographer: Marian Chytka, MCH Photography - Grooming: Sara Casiraghi @Freelancer – Styling & Text: Gaia Fiore - Styling: Giuditta Goffredo - Editing: Barry Samaha - Video: Daniele Piatti
A charitable project for the Hôpital des Petits in Markala
The entire revenue from the sale will go toward the restoration and construction of the third pavilion of the pediatrics and malnutrition department at the Hôpital des Petits in Markala (a city located in the heart of Mali, Africa). To be sure, this is not the first time that Casiraghi, the third son of Princess Caroline of Monaco, is involved in charitable initiatives.
"My first experience was in 2007, when I went with my mother to Nigeria, Mali, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi and South Africa," he said. "We visited AMADE’s centers for children. It is hard to realize that we can’t help everyone, but we try to do our best. The Hôpital des Petits was created by Khadja Nin, a family friend. Markala is located far from the major cities. The project involves the restoration of the structure, which is designed to welcome children and accommodate family members who accompany them."
FAY RACE JACKET
This limited edition jacket is produced for the Malizia team led by Pierre Casiraghi at the regatta GC32 2016. The bomber is sold exclusively online, with the revenue going to a charity that benefits the Hôpital des Petits in Markala.
The water-repellent finish, inner hood and pockets make the jacket ideal for outdoor activities. The combination of white and red is meant to reflect the colors of the Monaco flag. As Casiraghi described:
"First of all, this jacket is beautiful, which is a great starting point because it is important to feel good when you sail. It is perfect for the wind and rain. It manages to combine functionality and style."
The Limited Edition Fay Race Jacket is sold exclusively on the TheLuxer.com, starting May 30th, and on Fay.com, starting June 6th.
Pierre Casiraghi: Skipper, Monegasque
- Winner in real time of the Palermo-Montecarlo 2013 & 2014 (TP52)
- Winner of the Cape2Rio Race 2014 (Maserati)
- Winner of the Gold Cup (Melges 32 Robertissima) 2014
- Winner of the Rolex Giraglia Race 2014 (Esimit Europa 2)
- 4th Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2015 (Maserati)
Boris Herrmann: Traveller, German
- Fastest German around the world
- 3 world tours (one in 47 days)
- 10 world records
Sébastien Col: Mainsheet, French
- Match Racing World Vice-Champion in 2008
- Melges 24 World Champion in 2004
- Match Racing European Champion
- Melges 24 European Champion
- Winner of the Transat Jacques Vabre 2015
- America’s Cup 2000 & 2003 (afterguard)
- America’s Cup 2007 (helmsman)
Richard Mason: N°1, English
- Under 21 European Champion in the 49er in 2008
- 2nd in the 470 European Championship in 2012
- 2nd in the Formula 18 World Championship in 2013
Pierre-Alexis Ponsot: Coach, French
- Two-time winner of the Sailing World Cup 2009-2012
- Winner of the Baccardi Cup in the Star class in 2012
- 4 victories in the Tour de France à la Voile
- Several selections for French Olympic team
- Member of France’s Olympic Sailing Team for the London games
Adam Piggott: Headsail trimmer, English
- Professional racer in the RED Bull Team for the Extreme Sailing Series (preparatory trials for the America’s Cup)